Las Vegas Sleep Apnea - Nevada TMJ Institute - Sleep Appliance
Some quick facts about snoring and sleep apnea:
- 98.5% of snorers exhibit some apneic conditions
- 24% of males and 18% of females suffer from snoring
- 60% of males and 40% of females over the age of 60 snore (female snoring increases after menopause)
- Loudness of snoring may reach as high as 90db (85db is considered hazardous by the workers compensation board)
- Hypertension is present during wakefulness in approximately 50% of people with sleep apnea
- Over long periods, sleep apnea results in intellectual and memory deterioration
- The medical problem - Relapse of the tongue into the airway is one of the primary causes of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. The muscles of the soft palate, uvula and base of the tongue relax and sag, obstructing the airway.
The dental solution--The Silencer Dental Appliance Therapy--is an articulated, elastomeric mandibular appliance. This dental device is designed to allow the advancement of the mandible through a controlled range of forward movement, while at the same time allowing for a limited amount of vertical and lateral movement of the mandible. The tongue, attached as it is to the jaw, may be pulled forward by this advancement of the jaw. The optimum advancement of the jaw is the minimum required to open the airway. The Silencer Dental Appliance Therapy has an adjustability feature which permits incremental advancement of the jaw to achieve this requirement. This appliance has proven extremely effective in treating snoring and sleep apnea. This is accomplished by holding the lower jaw slightly forward, allowing limited vertical and lateral movement. This opens the airway to keep you from snoring, providing you with a healthy nights air supply.
We can help find your answer to a peaceful night’s rest!
Contact Nevada TMJ Institute today.